What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween Movie Review – Corpse Bride

Elaina Hess – 10

The movie Corpse Bride is a Tim Burton and Laika Entertainment film created in 2005 using stop motion animation and using clay figures. This is a very time consuming form of animation, and this movie took over three years to complete. Despite the theme being dark and gloomy, it is not necessarily a Halloween movie, so it can be enjoyed any time of the year but many would consider it a Halloween film. Burton was said to have been inspired to make this film by a Jewish folktale called “The Finger.” This story follows a boy named Victor being set up to marry a girl named Victoria. They seem to get along well but Victor is very nervous during the practice ceremony. He runs off to the forest to practice alone. He finds a branch that resembles a finger and decides to practice putting the ring on it. This branch turns into a hand of a woman named Emily  who brings him to the land of the dead. She says they are now going to get married because she believes that he wanted to marry her. He tries to tell her that this is a mistake and that he has a woman to marry in the land of the living. He has to try and get back to the land of the living before Victoria marries another man.

A freshman, Sid Bonning, says they saw this movie when they were 9. They said they enjoyed it because of the art style and the music. Sid really enjoys Tim Burton films and would recommend this movie to others who enjoy this style of animation and music. 

I personally enjoy this film because I also like this style of animation and kind of claymation. I would consider this a Halloween film so it is one of my favorite Halloween movies. I saw it for the first time about two years ago, and I knew I would enjoy it because I enjoy other Laika Studios and Tim Burton films like The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline. I would recommend this film to others because I think that the animation and style is a form of art that can be appreciated by all.