Scholarships available in Pennsylvania

Scholarships available in Pennsylvania

Grant Doklan, Pinnacle Underclassmen Editor

There are plethoras of scholarships available to college students in Pennsylvania. Tuitions are rising, but salaries are plateauing, meaning post secondary education is harder to pay for than ever.  Luckily, Pennsylvania provides a total of $826,000 in different scholarships to students that apply and meet the criteria. While most scholarships do not pay for college in full, they can help out in the long run by alleviating some student loan debts.

Some scholarships available to medical students include the ACMS Medical Student Scholarship, which is available to third or fourth-year students who reside in Pennsylvania’s Allegheny county. The scholarship covers $2,000 and is only available to two students per year. The ESASID scholarship is available to medical students from Pennsylvania who are from Indian or South Asian descent. Applicants must be in their second, third or fourth year of a Pennsylvania medical school and be residents of Pennsylvania. This scholarship also covers the amount of $2,000. The scholarships that would most apply to future medical students at Hamburg are the Myrtle Siegfried and Michael Vigilante scholarships, which are awarded to first-year medical students who reside in Lehigh, Berks or Northampton counties and cover $1,000 in costs.

The Pennsylvania Engineering Foundation currently administers two scholarships, one available for undergraduates and the other available for upperclassmen. The undergraduate scholarship covers $1,000 and is issued to two students per school year. The upperclassmen scholarship is $2,000 and is also awarded to two students per year.

Giovanni Klahr is a Hamburg Area High senior and is applying for the Esther Ludwig scholarship. The applicants must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA, equivalent to about 85%, and accurately identify the town they live in on the application. The scholarship is only available to those residing within the Hamburg Area School district. Esther Ludwig is the first woman in America to become a bank director and took a position on the board of the First National Bank of Shoemakersville in 1968. After her death, she left millions of dollars from her successes to help students in Pennsylvania achieve a college education.

To research Pennsylvania scholarships, visit: https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarships-by-state/pennsylvania-scholarships/

To learn more about Esther Ludwig and her legacy, visit:  http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/ludwigs-legacy-lingers