Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

HAHS students perform at Senior County Chorus

On Saturday, January 20, 2024, a select group of HAHS students performed at Conrad Weiser High School for Senior County Chorus. Ian Fink, Noah Kramer, Clayton Lash, Kirra Goetz, and Ella Lytle were the students selected to perform at this event.

Senior County is a concert that has three ensembles including orchestra, band, and chorus. The entire event lasts close to three hours. Due to inclement weather, this event got pushed back and students had to go to Conrad Weiser at noon on Saturday. Dedicated and putting in hard work, these students sang until six in the evening.

Kirra Goetz, a junior who attended, signed up to go to this event. After she auditioned, Kirra found out she was one of the 25 students picked to perform. To prepare for her audition, Kirra practiced by herself. Mrs. Jackson, the choir director, helped Kirra and the other students prepare for the performance. Next year Kirra plans on auditioning for county’s again and districts.

Senior County Chorus is a reoccurring event that is held every year. The music performed is more difficult than average choir music. If someone gets accepted into county’s, then they are eligible to audition for districts. From districts, someone could audition for regionals, states, and then nationals. These auditions are skill-based and accept a limited number of students. 

One of Kirra’s favorite parts of this experience was singing the song “Let the River Run.” Some drums went along with the song and it was a very fun experience. The whole thing was tiring at times, but very exciting and rewarding. Kirra also says she learned more about music than she knew before this.

Ian Fink, a senior who performed at Senior County Chorus this year, has attended and performed every year since he was a sophomore. Students are only eligible to perform at senior County Chorus grades 10, 11, and 12, so Ian took advantage of all of those opportunities. This year, Ian had friends like Noah Kramer and Clayton Lash come along with him to the event. His girlfriend, Kirra Goetz, also attended and Ian really liked that he had these people to talk to and experience this with. This year, Ian says the concert was consolidated making it go faster and he overall enjoyed all the music pieces he got to perform. The songs were a lot of fun and the concert went great.