Students choose their favorite type of pencil

Whether students are writing notes, papers, or other school assignments, they tend to use pencils or pens. Two students Maddie Handwerk and Allie Houck both prefer pencils over pens.

Allie tends to lean toward mechanical pencils specifically, as they tend to be more convenient. She rathers the brand BIC when it comes to mechanical pencils. Allie prefers BIC as she can get a lot more pencils for a smaller price of $8.49 for 40 pencils rather than $6.79 for 26 pencils. When comparing both of these prices the 40-pack sells each pencil for five cents cheaper.

Maddie also likes mechanical pencils. She likes how she does not have to get up and down all the time to sharpen a pencil if it breaks, although she does find it hard to find the exact lead she needs at times. Maddie does not have a specific brand of mechanical pencils that she likes as they mainly all work the same. Even though the pencils work the same they do not always cost the same. At Walmart, a 24-pack of Papermate pencils are $5.24, whereas a five-pack of BIC pencils are $5.94 which is an insane difference. Then at Target, a 50-pack of Target brand pencils are $5.49, but then a 40-pack of BIC pencils are $10.59. Even though some of the brands vary in price and amount they can also differ in quality, hence why prices are different. 

With these two interviews it is shown that as much as students like pencils, they specifically like mechanical pencils. Mechanical pencils tend to be more convenient as users do not always have to get up and sharpen them, but the graphite can break more easily and be harder to find. As compared to wooden pencils they have stronger graphite in them so they do not break as often, but if it does break it would need a sharpener which might not always be available.