NBCC recognizes Veronica Heckman as an outstanding junior business student

Quinn Holl, Hawk Happenings Editor

Hamburg business student, Veronica Heckman, received recognition in regards to her excellence in business at the Northeast Berks Chamber of Commerce.

November 30, juniors from varying school districts (Hamburg, Kutztown, Brandywine Heights, Fleetwood, and Oley Valley), attended NBCC; in fact, Hamburg’s very own, Mrs. Benz and superintendent, Richard Mextorf, are members of the Chamber.

According to the organization, the purpose of the event was to recognize students who are currently “excelling in business courses at BCTC, business courses in the school district, or in a leadership position in Future Business Leaders of America.”

Heckman, who was nominated by Mr. Hetrich and Mrs. Keck, was admittedly, the “best junior business student” this year; as a result, Heckman, who was “very excited” to receive the award, represented Hamburg as an excellent student of business. She earned a gift certificate from Kutztown, who sponsored the event, which she can then use in the future, specifically when applying to colleges.

In the past, Heckman has taken Business Fundamentals, Computer Applications and is currently taking Personal Finance; however, Heckman does not wish to end there. Next semester, Heckman plans on taking Sports and Entertainment Marketing. Of course, Heckman will continue this business trend throughout the remainder of her high school career.

While Heckman has displayed her business skills in the classroom, because she is, without fail, regularly “eager to learn more about the content and contribute to classroom discussions,” Heckman participates in additional activities, as well. She is involved in numerous sports, including field hockey, basketball, bowling, and softball; additionally, Heckman is an active member of both L.I.S.A club [Leadership In Student Athletes] and Ski club.

Post-graduation, Heckman plans on attending college for business. She not only hopes to improve academically, but athletically, too. Following her collegiate experience, she plans on taking over her family business as a full-time career.

Heckman’s family business, where she helps her dad out on the weekends and during the summer, is Francis L. Werley. The company provides fuel delivery, heating and A/C services, and has an auto shop, as well.