6th grade camp turns out to be a success yet again

Eliza Hunsicker, Staff Writer

From hiking to archery, Sixth Grade Camp is a way the middle school tries to bring all of the sixth graders together. On Wednesday, October 17, 2018, many high school students joined the entire sixth grade and their teachers on the “Class Trip” trip to South Mountain YMCA Camp. The high school had about 20-25 students go along and be the counselors to help mentor the children and keep them out of trouble. The teachers relied on the high school students, as well as their coworkers, to help keep all of the students under control and to not let them do anything out of hand.
There were several different activities each of the three days we were all up at camp for all of the groups to do. The group I was with had the first activity of an archeological dig, which was where the students acted like archeologists for an hour and dug up everything that they could. During each of the activities/games, the students had to interact and communicate with their fellow students. The activities that the students participated in were designed to show how to use teamwork and how to stick together to get difficult tasks done. The overall goal is to bring the students together and allow them to make new friends that they may have never talked to before.

High School senior, Dominic Lombardo, explains his experience as one to remember. One word Dominic used to describe camp was unique. He says “seeing the bonds formed between the high school students, sixth graders and teachers is a bond not seen behind the walls of the school.”

Camp is a more informal way for everyone to come together and provides a good setting for the students to let themselves feel free and enjoy themselves. Camp is also a chance for the teachers to have a good few days to hang out and spend times with their colleagues.

Though the weather was cold, we all still managed to enjoy ourselves. Through the, what felt like hundreds, of layers of clothing, we all knew we would not trade this for anything. Helping and mentoring the students was great for everyone at camp. Overall, high school junior, Abigail Chaundy, says that camp was “the most fun volunteer job she has ever done.”