Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

German food differs from US food

People may be wondering what the top five most popular German foods are and according to www.expatrio.com, the top German food is Brot & Brötchen. Brot & Brötchen is bread, in the form of a loaf (Brot) or a small, usually crusty roll (Brötchen). Germans enjoy a wide variety of bread including grain, Pumpernickel (a typically dense, slightly sweet rye bread traditionally made with sourdough starter and coarsely ground rye), rye, and white bread. German bread tends to be heavier and heartier than bread from Italy, Spain, or France.

The 2nd most famous food in Germany is Käsespätzle. Käsespätzle is made from layering small Spätzle pasta with grated cheese and topped with fried onion. Spätzle pasta is a type of Central European egg noodles typically served as a side for meat dishes with sauce. Käsespätzle is usually served with a salad and sometimes with applesauce. This is the closest that Germany will get to macaroni and cheese. 

Currywurst is the 3nd most famous food in Germany. Currywurst is chopped up sausages, fries and a spicy ketchup sauce. It is not a dish that Germans eat at home, but instead it is something that is eaten ‘on-the-go’. It is sold from stalls and fast food eateries in many towns and cities. The capital city Berlin is famous for Currywurst.

Kartoffelpuffer & Bratkartoffeln are two different things but are ranked as number four. A Kartoffelpuffer is a shallow fried pancake made from grated potatoes, egg, and flour. It is sometimes eaten with eggs and bacon for breakfast, as a side with meat for lunch or dinner, or is eaten alone with applesauce. Bratkartoffeln, on the other hand, are more like sauté or hashed potatoes. Small chunks or chips of potatoes are parboiled and then fried with onion and sometimes bacon. Like Kartoffelpuffer, Bratkartoffeln can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Finally, Rouladen is number five on the most popular list. Rouladen is a German main dish that typically consists of pickles and bacon wrapped in thin slices of beef, or veal. Veal is the meat of calves. It is usually served with gravy, dumplings, mashed potatoes, and cabbage.

According to www.andrejthechef.com, Burgers are the most popular food in America. They are famous for their versatility and the ability to add any toppings or condiments to customize them to individual tastes.

In the 2nd spot is pizza. It is made with a variety of toppings on a thin or thick crust and is often served in slices.

3rd overall is hot dogs. Hot dogs are a staple at American sporting events and backyard barbecues.

The 4th most popular food in the US is fried chicken. Fried chicken is made by coating chicken pieces in a mixture of flour and spices and then frying them in oil until crispy and golden brown. They are often served with sides like mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, and biscuits.

Finally, 5th overall is apple pie. Apple pie is a classic American dessert. It is made with a sweet, flaky crust and a filling of sliced apples and spices. Americans often serve the apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.