What is your favorite holiday?

What freshman should expect for winter sports

The freshman class is a little worried about their upcoming winter season. To break the ice of what might this season hold, some upperclassmen decided to help out the freshman and new players. 

For girls high school basketball, the team expects hard work and dedication to the sport. This does not just mean showing up, but putting in the most amount of effort to grow individually as a team. The team’s goals are to beat Schuylkill Valley and reach the playoffs. Many of the upperclassmen said that their freshman year was much harder than they thought it would be, because of the pace of the game and they had a new team to adjust to. Although joining a new sport is scary, the girls would recommend joining even without prior experience.

Basketball is not the only sport that students can join without prior experience. Girls wrestling is very open to new teammates. They would like more girls to join wrestling because the team is very small. The girls are willing to help and teach anybody new as much as is needed. The hardest thing for the girls when entering their freshman year was the conditioning. There is a lot of running and weightlifting in practices. Although this may seem scary, the girls are very supportive and will not let others feel defeated. The team’s goals this year are for more recruits and to get stronger. 

The boys basketball team is excited for their upcoming season. They hope that the freshmen bring the same energy and effort as they have seen in the past. As expected from boys basketball, they have said their freshman year was a big change and a lot harder for them. The amount of aggression, conditioning, and overall pace of the game was something they had to quickly come accustomed to. Unlike the other sports, boys basketball would recommend not joining without prior experience. They said “I would recommend joining with at least one year of basketball, so you have a feel of the stress in a game situation, and so you don’t slow down the team,” they hope to reach districts this year and win a bunch of games.

One of the most recommended sports, without prior experience, is indoor track. Many athletes who do this sport do it to stay conditioned for their spring or fall sport. Not many of them have an expectation for the Freshman because they are all there for different reasons. Whether it is to stay conditioned, better oneself, or get faster, they all only hope to see improvement in themselves. What they all had to overcome was the mental part of running. People must have a positive attitude if they want to get better.