What is your favorite holiday?

Students and teachers love to bake at HAHS

Riley Mohn – 10

Students at HAHS bake as a fun or required activity, and they bring in foods for some classes or friends. Most of the time, the treats students bake are for birthdays or special occasions that students want to celebrate, or just because they are in the mood to bake. Other times, students have to bake for grades in culinary classes or classes where people learn how to cook to gauge if they can survive without constantly needing to purchase take out. 

During the pi day activities on March 14, the math teachers allow students to bring in treats to make pi day much more enjoyable. Most students would bring in cookies or cupcakes as the treats, but some brought in pizzas or other circular foods. The teachers also would have interesting lessons that day, like taking a thin Twizzler and using it to find the diameter and circumference of a small cookie to show that it will always equal pi. 

Other classes like Mrs. McCarthy-Wright’s publications classes are allowed to bring in treats. Students bring in treats about 5 to 10 times throughout the school year, and they bring in normal treats like cupcakes or cookies that are sometimes homemade, or years ago, a final project like sushi. Mrs. McCarthy-Wright also brings in extra treats she makes whenever she makes too much, like when she made ‘puppy chow’ which is a chex mix covered in a mixture of chocolate and peanut butter with sugar to top it all off. 

During the in-service day on Friday, Mrs. Geske made an apple strudel on October 6l for the teachers. She said she had made it to give the teachers and staff a treat for being there on the days students had off. She has also experimented with different kinds of cakes, swiss rolls, brownies, cookies, anything she can bake. 

Students enjoy baking around HAHS as well, and there have been treats like red velvet cupcakes, brownies, and cookies baked and passed around HAHS. Some other desserts have included homemade Rice Crispy treats with sprinkles and macarons. 

Students bake to be able to share their creativity with their love of food. Typically, it can also be an accquired skill students have. Students also bake to share their favorite customs and events with others, since a universal language is food.