Senior LeeAnn Mills travels to Italy

On September 6, 2023, first thing in the morning I got on a plane to Atlanta, Georgia, and then a few hours later went all the way from Atlanta, Georgia to Milan, Italy. Upon landing in Italy, the most apparent difference was the time shift and clock. Italy is six hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time and uses what we call “military time,” but what they call the 24-hour clock. After a few days, I was able to adjust perfectly fine. 

This was my first time setting foot outside the United States, and it was exciting. My official trip was orchestrated by a company named EF Go Ahead Tours based in Canada, and the first stop of many was Lake Como. Lake Como is a town in the northern region of Italy that serves as a vacation spot for wealthy individuals. Buying a house in the area costs at the very least a few million euros, with celebrities like George Clooney owning houses in the neighborhood. The environment of the area was pure relaxation with the constant smell of water being near the lake. However, Lake Como is quite small. Other towns that surround it, like Bellagio, which I visited, are often lumped together. The major history of Lake Como lies with one man by the name of Alessandro Volta. This man is the inventor of the battery as well as the discoverer of methane gas above marsh waters. Alessandro Volta has a museum dedicated to him in Lake Como that details his studies, accomplishments, and life. 

After Lake Como, I visited Milan, Turin, the Italian Riveria, and Bologna. The Italian Riviera enthralled me the most. It consisted of small shore towns and rocky beaches. While I was there, I took my first swim in the Mediterranean sea and rode lots of large crowded boats. 

The next stops were Verona and Venice. Verona was an absolutely stunning town with a small Colosseum, now used for entertainment and a plethora of shops. Verona also housed the famous Romeo and Juliet’s Balcony, which is fake. Venice is a system of canals where boast and gondolas are constantly traveling, so to go from place to place people take boat taxis.

The final stops were Assisi, a small town, and Rome. Assisi hosted many small shops and beautiful pale pink stone buildings, while Rome had cobblestone pathways and lots of historical sites. In Rome, I saw the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and the ancient ruins of Ostia Antica. 

By far my favorite part of the entire trip was visiting the ancient ruins. Ostia Antica used to be the heart of Rome and an important port city. However, about 50 percent of the ruins are still buried underground to this day. While walking around I could smell wild mint and see mosaics, still intact, and noticed two almost whole pieces of pottery. That visit made the entire trip worth it.

In total, I was out of school for 14 days, and on vacation for 21, but I do not regret a single day. Making up school work is hard but this experience is worth it. 

WorldStrides says, that international travel for students gives many benefits and allows students to gain perspective, discover the world, and enrich their minds. 

For more information visit, https://worldstrides.com/blog/2013/12/top-10-benefits-students-gain-from-traveling/#:~:text=International%20travel%2C%20especially%20with%20a,gain%20the%20respect%20of%20others.