Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

Students prepare for AP English exam

Students prepare for AP English exam

AP classes are a great way to introduce students to a more college level setting and prepare them for other future endeavors. While the work may be difficult and the tests might be tricky, it all helps students construct an idea of the major milestone that comes with an AP class, AP exams. Mrs. Texter’s AP Language and Composition class is no different. In only the first month of school, she has already begun to introduce the expectations and essays that come with the AP English exam. 

The AP exams can be very beneficial to students and allow them to broaden their horizons academically. Mrs Texter stated, “The AP Exam is only one measure of a student’s work, but it isn’t necessarily the best. For students who are comfortable test takers, the exam offers college credit while you are still in high school, and that can benefit students in the longer term.” College credits can support student’s academic abilities and boost their chances of future schooling. While the tests sound difficult, the preparation and practice before the testing helps in the long run. Mrs Texter shared, “I like students to know exactly what to expect and then practice so they feel comfortable when they have to face the exam.” To give students a better understanding of what to expect, Mrs. Texter gives her students examples of prompts and helps them discover how to properly write detailed essays that will hopefully help students receive good scores. 

Some students shared their opinions on the exam. Shelby Dougherty, junior, is a student in the AP Language and Composition class. She shared, “I would like to take the exam in order to fully take advantage of the opportunity to obtain college credits while in high school.” The results of the exam could allow students to gain college credits and have the ability to show future colleges their capabilities and strengths. With the students confidence comes some worry. 

Amelia Gassert, junior, is also a student in the AP Language and Composition class. She stated, “I think the most challenging part would be having to write each essay in only 40 minutes. Not even the content is that difficult, it is being able to handwrite everything you want to talk about in a timely manner.” Students are only given 2 hours to complete the 3 essays on the exam, testing their quick thinking abilities.

The test will be held on May 14 at 8 am. While the exam might not be for everyone, it is a very good opportunity for those hoping to advance in the English field and continue academics after high school.