John Henne joins the Hamburg Area High School track team

Alexandra Kline, Hawk Happenings Editor in Chief

John Henne, an eighth grade social studies teacher at Hamburg Area Middle School, recently joined the Hamburg Area High School track team as a new jumping coach. A jumper and sprinter himself at Tamaqua High School and a long and triple jumper at Robert Morris University, Henne “hopes to help build a team that can be successful for years to come.”

Henne has several years of coaching experience along with his 10 years of track to help the high school track jumpers jump to victory. “We have a lot of great athletes here at Hamburg with the possibility of multiple athletes qualifying for districts and possibly states.” With the girls high school track team now in PIAA instead of previous years of PIAAA, the girls have a better chance of participating in districts and possibly states.

Henne’s goal for the year in track is “always to create better athletes and humans.” To help the high school athletes to achieve this goal, he plans on “working with athletes on event-specific skills along with general conditioning.”

Official track practice began on March 4. Even though it is early in the season, Henne already believes that “We have a good shot at competing for division titles. We will definitely earn some individual medals this year, but it would be great to bring home some team hardware.” He hopes that “the kids are excited about the possibilities this year holds. I’m just here to guide them and teach them the skills they need.”

For anyone not participating in a spring sport, Henne has something to say: “Anyone who is not competing in a spring sport should consider track and field. There are opportunities for everyone and it is a great way to develop skills needed for other sports as well.” The track team will love to have anyone join the team to help get good titles for the season. To join the team, sign up on the Hamburg Area School website and complete a physical or recertification packet. Welcome Mr. John Henne to the Hamburg Area High School spring track team!