What is your favorite holiday?

Arizona Supreme Court decides the future of abortion

On April 9 the Arizona court ruled that under any circumstances it is now illegal to have an abortion. Any doctor or person who performs an abortion for another shall serve a minimum of two years in prison unless the abortion will save the mother’s life. Many women in Arizona are going to be harmed because of this law due to the fact it could cause many health complications. Many women are speaking out about this law and how it affects more then the future of the nation. Some people see the movement as a warning for any future problems that could arise from this. 

Citizens of Arizona believe that the government is trying to topple the playing field for women and men and say that this court ruling is ruining equality completely. Hundreds of women question what right will be taken next and if it will ever stop. Those answers will never be said by the government, but they will just have to wait for future action. 

The decision was not unanimous between the jury, but it was decided by a 4-2 vote. Justices John R. Lopez IV, Clint Bolick, James P. Beene and Kathryn H. King were in the majority vote. All Arizona’s justices were appointed by republican governors, which made many political shifts. Many republican women stated they are not democratic because they feel they will be more respected as a whole there. 

Students at Hamburg Area High School were not a fan of Arizona’s decision. The majority of the girls responded to the court’s action with negative emotions and hatred. Many believe that this court case will spread throughout the United States and abortion would soon be illegal everywhere. Most of the males had mixed emotions because they were not the ones mainly being affected by the case, but they were also thinking about circumstances that a woman should be able to get an abortion. They were very reasonable with their reasons and believe the court case should be revisioned. “If the court refuses to make all abortion legal then they should at least change the reasons for a woman to get an abortion. Some people did not choose to engage in sexual activity and going through with the pregnancy could cause emotional risks for the mother,” said a female student at Hamburg Area High School.

To find more information visit www.azcentral.com