Katie Stitzel attends BCTC

Katie Stitzel is a current senior at HAHS, set to graduate on May 31, 2024. Katie attends BCTC West in Leesport and has for the past three years, making her a third-year student. The program Katie studies is Health Occupations, and chose that program in tenth grade because she is “fascinated by how the body functions [and] want[s] to help people as much as [she] can.” She expresses a profound love of the Health Occupations program because she has “learned so much not only in the medical setting but also as a person.” 

BCTC requires each student to complete a senior project. Katie and some of her friends from BCTC decided to organize a fun run to raise awareness and money for breast cancer. A fun run is a paid volunteer race that takes place for enjoyment and support of a cause rather than competition. This specific event took place on October 13 at the BCTC West campus in Leesport with two different time sessions. All the proceeds collected, which amounted to $700, went to an organization based in Lancaster called, Help the Fight. According to helpthefight.org, it is an organization that uses its proceeds to help men and women alike receive treatment and screenings for breast cancer or symptoms. Katie’s part in the project was reaching out to Help the Fight and transferring the proceeds. The group that completed this project all worked together to come up with the theme, pink for breast cancer, create and hang up posters, and the organization of the fundraiser. 

Katie says her greatest accomplishments at BCTC are being accepted into the National Technical Honor Society in eleventh grade, raising money, and organizing the fundraiser for Help the Fight.

Katie’s future plan is to become an ultrasound technician. After high school, she will attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania for a bachelor’s degree in Science in Medical Imaging/Diagnostic Medical Sonography. 

For more information about Help the Fight visit, 

www.helpthefight.org/