Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

Students reflect on APUSH roleplay

The AP U.S. History class, taught by Mr. Kline, participates in role play simulations where students dress up as historical figures and have to act and pretend to be them. Many of these occur throughout the year, and they provide a fun and different way of learning. Recently, the class participated in a roleplay of historical figures from colonial America.

I chose to roleplay William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. William Penn was granted the charter for the Pennsylvania colony in 1681 and arrived in Philadelphia in 1682. He provided a colony for Quakers and others seeking religious freedom. To prepare for this simulation, I did a lot of research and wrote down many facts about him and his life. I continuously studied him for a few days and prepared a small note card with important information to have with me on the day of the simulation, just in case I forgot anything. I really enjoyed dressing up since I had a costume, but it was very exciting to be interviewed the day of to show off the information I knew and the hard work I put into this simulation. I am very excited for more simulations in the future especially when they become more modern than colonial America.

Hailey Quinn, a junior at HAHS, selected Anne Hutchinson to roleplay. Anne Hutchinson is regarded as an early colonial America feminist. She challenged male authority and preached to men and women about questioning Puritan authority. To prepare for this simulation, Hailey researched Anne Hutchinson and read many links and articles detailing information about her. She did not write much down or prepare a note card because she was able to read everything she needed to know about Hutchinson and memorized it. She also practiced by talking like she was Anne Hutchinson to friends before the simulation occurred. Hailey’s favorite part was dressing up as her character because it really helped her get into character and really feel like she was Anne Hutchinson. Hailey says, “It felt more right talking as Anne Hutchinson when dressed like her.” Hailey is looking forward to more simulations that are to come in the future because it helps students learn history in a different way rather than sitting in class and taking notes. Hailey was happy to hear that Mr. Kline was proud of his AP U.S. History group and he said this was the best first simulation for a class since before Covid-19. This made her feel good about moving forward with the class.