People celebrate Easter around the world

Morgan Lutz, Pinnacle Student Life Editor

Easter, which is also known as Pascha or Resurrection Sunday, is a holiday mainly acknowledged by Christians to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. Easter is celebrated on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox and this year it will occur on Sunday, April 9, 2023.

Traditions regarding holidays vary around the world and the same goes for Easter traditions. In the United States we paint easter eggs in colorful colors, attend church services, participate in Easter egg hunts, and a few other traditions depending on one’s family.

In Australia they have an animal called Bilbies which are a type of desert-dwelling marsupial. There are fewer than 10,000 of them left. In an attempt to raise awareness about the endangered species, instead of giving out chocolate bunnies, they give out chocolate Bilbies on Easter. 

In France every year they make the world’s biggest omelet in the main square. The omelet is made from 4,500 eggs. Each family contributes some eggs which they crack in their home that morning and then bring to add into the omelet that serves more than 1,000 people. 

During Easter in Hungary women dress up in traditional clothes and get water splashed on them and even sometimes have whole buckets of water dumped over them.

In Papua New Guinea, instead of chocolate being given out as treats, tobacco and cigarettes are distributed. The trees at the front of the church are decorated with cigarettes and tobacco and then distributed after the church service.

In New Zealand instead of hunting for eggs they hunt for bunnies. Each year 500 hunters kill 1,000 bunnies in an attempt for the prize of $NZ 3,500. They do this hunt because bunnies are an invasive species and it is a fun and easy way to help maintain the population every year. 

There are many other interesting traditions for Easter around the world like Greece only decorating with the color red, Catholics in the Philippines practicing self-crucifixion, and the release of many new crime novels and movies in Norway during Easter time. No matter where someone celebrates the holiday there will always be fun traditions that anyone can try.

For more information about different Easter traditions visit:

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/worlds-craziest-easter-traditions/