Midnights album review

Midnights album review

Abby Wahl, Pinnacle Student Life Editor

On October 17, 2022, Taylor Swift released her 10th studio album, Midnights. The album is a mix of different types of songs, some heartbreak, some self-love, some self-hate, some overall sad, and some overall happy songs. The similarity between them is that the whole album has a very calm tone, more relaxed than some of her other albums. 

This new album sure received lots of praise from the Swifties (Taylor Swift’s fan base). I am definitely a fan of Swift, but I must admit I did not fall in love with this album at first listen; I grew to love it. I first compared it to her other albums, which I have always loved. Doing that obviously made me think lowly of this new release, but then I decided to listen to it just to listen to it. When I did that, I adored it so much more. 

My favorite song from the album is Karma, which peaked at number nine on the US Billboard Hot 100. My favorite line from the song is, “Karma’s a relaxing thought, aren’t you envious that for you it’s not?” I love that she’s being positive with these lyrics, but also dissing people that diss her. I favor this song because I adore the lyrics so much and the general meaning behind the song is sassy and uplifting which I love. 

A song from the album, Anti-Hero, reached number one on the same billboard and remained there for a great six weeks. The song has a deeper meaning than some of her other songs. A lyric addresses this: “Hi, It’s the problem, It’s me.” She is admitting that sometimes we are the one who causes our problems, not others. Swift definitely seems more mature based on this new album. She is making intelligent realizations and not making all her negative songs about other people. I love the diversity of the songs because it gives an addictive dynamic to the album. Some songs are self-empowering, and some realize that putting others first is good. If a person is in a more relaxed mood and needs something to feel emotions to, the album Midnights is a perfect go-to.

For more information about Karma; https://www.justjared.com/2022/10/31/taylor-swift-reacts-to-emily-ratajkowskis-video-using-karma-song/