Students prepare for winter track

Kaeli Cox

Fall sports are coming to an end, and while many may be excited to take the winter season off, some do not need a break. Winter track is a very overlooked sport with multiple benefits and opportunities. Hamburg Area High School’s winter track members are preparing for another season and sharing their favorite parts.

Breanna Lillington, a member of the winter track team, participates in the long jump, triple jump, 4 by 4, and 400 events. Breanna shares why she would recommend the sport, she said, “I would recommend signing up for winter track because it’s a great way to stay in shape, especially if you’re on the spring track team.” 

A majority of the team plays other sports outside of winter track to stay in shape and prepared for their other extracurriculars. Breanna says, “Winter track has helped me stay active during the winter to avoid being out of shape for my other sports.” Outside of winter track, Breanna plays field hockey and spring track, meaning her only season off is summer, so staying active over winter really helps. With winter being a season to stay home and relax, being involved in a sport keeps active and healthy. 

Mckenna Ecker is another member of the team, participating in the triple and long jump, and she sees more skill in her triple jump. She said that her favorite part of the sport is, “Going to colleges for meets. Seeing other schools and how large their team is just because of how large their school is, is actually very enjoyable for me.” 

She shared that outside of staying in shape and doing it to stay active, there are other pros to joining the team. Expanding knowledge on other teams and using their skill as construction to better each other helps build teamwork skills. Mckenna also says, “I suggest winter track to other students because it’s a small team so it’s pretty close knit, and it’s just a fun way to stay in shape for other sports, while possibly learning a new one.” Being on a smaller team can build relationships and comfortability. Being such a small team allows no one to feel left out or judged, meaning even for a first time athlete, winter track can feel relaxed. Consider joining winter track next season and experience a fun and loving sport!