Attending school sporting

Chloee Stitzel

The National Federation of State High School Associations’ sports participation for the 2018-19 school year. The top girls sport is Track and Field, meanwhile the 2nd top sport for girls is Basketball. The top boys sport is Football, and the 2nd most popular is Track and Field. “The number of students who play sports in high school declined slightly in the 2018-19 school year; there were still 7,937,491 participants; sports are still a very popular extracurricular activity for students around the country.” – aaastateofplay.com

On the ticket sales it looks like Football wins tremendously compared to any other sport. “Football sells almost as many tickets as all other sports combined,” added Mr. Menapace, the HASD Athletic Director.

The most tickets that were sold for Football was in 2010-11 with 5,927 tickets sold. No other sport has had that many sales for one game here at HAHS.

All Hamburg athletic events are very fun to attend. We all love to get out and support our Hawks! Dr. Beissel says, “I always enjoy anytime our sports teams compete against Schuylkill Valley since they are Hamburg’s biggest rival and I graduated from there, so it is nice to see our Hamburg teams beat them”. We do have security guards present at home games, as well as law enforcement representatives available at our games. Dr. Beissel also stated, “Typically myself, Mr. Marra, and Dr. Gravish also attend the games to try and address potential issues before they escalate.” For more information on sports, visit the school website (hasdhawks.org), then go to Athletics.