Shelby Dougherty balances activities, athletics, and academics

Hailey Quinn, Pinnacle Faculty/Staff Editor

Shelby Dougherty is a sophomore at HAHS, who works very hard in order to balance her academics, athletics, and out of school activities. 

Shelby is taking four honors classes. She also participates in Unified Leadership Club, Spanish Club, Girls Soccer, RAGE (a travel soccer team), Track, and has recently signed up for Bocce Ball. In addition to her classes, clubs, and sports, she also has a job scooping ice cream at Candy’s. Shelby states that it is “extremely stressful” juggling so much, adding that it “creates a lot of anxiety and worry.” 

Shelby recently injured her ankle, which means she is out of sports for at least four weeks and up to four months, but it is undetermined as of now. The injury has added to her stress, and she says that, “My sports provide an outlet for me to release my worries, being hurt now messes up that type of outlet I had going for me.” 

Shelby’s future high school plans include boosting her class rank and taking AP classes during her upperclassmen years. As for after high school, Shelby hopes to go to a D2 college and play soccer, along with getting a four year degree, possibly in the medical field. 

As a final word of advice for her fellow students Shelby offers, “Stay mentally organized, complete all of your assignments based on when they’re due, and don’t let things pile up, I’m guilty of that myself. Also find things that you enjoy and make sure to try to find the time to do things you enjoy, I know it can be hard.”