Cell phones affect students

Chloee Stitzel

There seems to be a difference of opinion out there on if cell phones truly affect students during school hours. I believe that sometimes in class cell phones can be useful. I feel as if we should be able to access them in class once all of our work is done.

According to Western Governors University, there are some good and bad things about the usage of cell phones. Most schools allow students to have cell phones for safety, which seems unlikely to change as long as school shootings remain an uncommon occurrence. But phones are not just tools for emergencies; they can also be valuable tools in the classroom. On the other hand, there are bad things about the use of cell phones during school. Students tend to be drawn to the kinds of distractions smartphones provide. 

The science teacher, Mr. Laughlin, stated, “Yes, they would be but not in all situations. It is helpful to have a phone if somebody’s computer is dead or has connectivity issues.”

Another opinion that was shared by Carlee Stitzel was, “I think students should be allowed to have them in the hallways, study hall, and lunch. In the classrooms students should not be on their cell phones unless they are told or needed to be.”

Some solutions for the pros and cons can also be found on wgu.edu. One teacher had their students and their parents sign a policy. Teachers also started storing everyone’s phones in their classroom. Students did not balk at it, and they actually seemed to appreciate the time away from their phones. They realized that they could be without their phones for a whole class period without the world ending.

The Student Handbook has a large section dedicated to cell phones. Along with the rules, it has everything clearly stated that students need to know for using their phones. If a student gets told many times about their phone, the disciplinary terms are on page 34 also. – For more info visit wgu.edu and page 34 in the Student handbook.