Histories and cultures change over time with influence

different countries have their history and cultures (myths, legends, foods, language) intertwined with each other, which makes change. An example for the historical aspect would be Germany and Russia and an example for the cultural aspect would be Japan borrowing some aspects of China’s culture. The island of Yap, which is located in Micronesia, has historical ties with Spain, Germany, Japan, and America. The island of Yap also borrowed many words and clothing choices from the countries that once ruled over them.

Both of Bella Kenyel’s parents are from the island of Yap and they have different views on the matter of how Yap has changed. Bella’s mother views these changes that have happened to Yap to be mostly good, for example cars. The only thing that was bad in her mother’s opinion was television, due to the fact that young Yapese people are becoming “gangster.” The technology that Bella’s mother knows were introduced were cars, television, phones and modern day clothing. In Yap, they used to wear grass skirts, but they now only wear them during ceremonies.

Bella’s mother believes that change on Yap is already happening due to the fact that most people have cars now. She also believes that the language will stay the same, despite the younger generations understanding English more than the older generations.

Bella’s father, on the other hand, believes that these changes that have happened to Yap to be bad. His reasonings are the fact that young Yapese people are losing their culture, customs, and language due to American influence. The technology that Bella’s father knows were introduced to Yap were cars, phones, television, a governmental system, police, and an economic system due to America taking over. Bella’s father says that when the technology advanced in Yap, the young people started to lose their culture, customs, language, and stories. Bella’s father believes that in the future, Yap’s cultures, customs, and language will be erased entirely due to the older generations being dead and the influence of government and money.

To find more about Yap go to visityap.com, https://ehrafworldcultures.yale.edu/cultures/or22/summary, or ask Kenyel.