HAHS juniors get inducted into the National Honor Society

On April 17, 2024, Hamburg Area High School welcomed its new chapter of National Honor Society members. An induction ceremony was held where these 17 students took a pledge, signed the book, and had a family member pin their NHS pin on them. After the ceremony was over, the new inductees and their families were invited to have refreshments in Cafe 1 provided by senior NHS members.

National Honor Society is an organization that was founded in 1921, and serves to recognize high school students who excel in the areas of scholarship, leadership, character, and service. Students in NHS participate in service projects to help their community and other organizations. NHS will also raise money to help various causes. National Honor Society members are exposed to different service and leadership opportunities that give them more experience in these areas. 

Hailey Quinn, a junior inducted into NHS, thought the ceremony was very nice. There were times when it felt awkward since everyone had to wait and sit in silence while other members accepted their certificates and received their pins. Some of Hailey’s family decided to attend and show her support including her mom, dad, and aunt. Hailey’s favorite part was when her dad came up on stage and pinned her with her NHS pin. She says it was a very special moment for both of them which is why it is her favorite. Being in the National Honor Society is a great honor and Hailey is proud of herself for this achievement. The National Honor Society can help aid students in their future and give back to the community. Hailey is looking forward to helping others with service projects done through NHS. 

This is also a great way to help students and their futures because being an NHS member means that someone has great characteristics that can help them get into college. The group that was inducted into NHS this year was on the smaller side, but Hailey says she is excited to start our first service project and feels a smaller group will help them work closer together.

Another junior inductee of NHS, Erica Gerner, enjoyed the induction ceremony. She had heard a lot about the ceremony since she was friends with people who were inducted last year. The ceremony was how she expected it to be, and she regards it as very organized and did well in honoring students. Erica’s mom, dad, and grandmother watched her get inducted and showed their support. Her favorite part of the night was when her mom pinned her with the NHS pin, and she hoped this achievement made her family proud. Since being in the National Honor Society is the highest level of honor students can receive at the high school Erica is very proud of her character and personality that allowed her to get in. As a junior, Erica has already started her college-looking process and she knows that being in NHS will help her get into college. She is looking forward to working with the classmates she has grown up with in giving back to their community and other people.