Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

Mrs. Jackson adopts Squirt the fish

Mrs. Jackson is a music teacher at HAHS. Although her main instruments are flute and piano, she can play multiple other instruments, such as: guitar, ukulele, recorder, and mountain dulcimer. She has a fun and warm personality. Her room is unique in shape and seating. Students can choose where they sit and what fun chairs they use during class. There are pillows, Sacco chairs, a couch, and if students would like, they could just sit on the floor. One cool fun fact about Mrs. Jackson is that she always wanted to learn and play the crash symbols in a band. 

She decided to become a teacher because she was very active in the community and involved with music. She wanted to help others explore music just like the way she did. “I am inspired by my Dad and other family members who sing and play instruments, the vocal stylings of Karen Carpenter, an Americana band called Over the Rhine, and all musicians who are incredibly fantastic yet humble like Mrs. Kline.” She said, one of her favorite memories from a music perspective is when she was ,“Just out of college, I taught at a private Quaker school named Goshen Friends. I taught music to students from preschool age through fifth grade. Directing my very first holiday concert with songs honoring Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa was extremely memorable. I was so nervous to be in charge and I was so proud to have my parents attend.”

Sara Fitzgerald is a senior at HAHS and she loves how comfy and welcoming the room can be. Clayton Lash is also a senior at HAHS, he said, “She is an amazing choir director and teacher, as well as a kind person. She is always there when you need someone to talk to, and is always so supportive of her students.”

Mrs. Jackson runs her coffee shop inside of her office; music students can come down and buy snacks that raise money for Tri-M. It is always in stock of yummy treats and drinks. It is a great place to get a snack if there is practice after school.     

Recently, a new staff member has joined the music department, and his name is H. Squirt Phoenix, the H. stands for Huckleberry. He might have gills, but everyone at HAHS loves him. He swims around all day and listens to the choir sing. When he gets tired, he takes a nap inside of his cave that was gifted to him by Selena Henne.