What is your favorite holiday?

Freshmen prepare for Keystones

Freshmen will be taking their first set of Keystones, which are an end of the year assessment that determines whether or not a student is learning what they are supposed to and using that information. The algebra 1 Keystones require a student to score at least a 1,500 in order to achieve proficiency. For some students who have honors biology will also need to score at least a 1,500. With these important tests coming up, some students have been using different methods to study and prepare for them.

Sheila Kern, a freshman, will be taking the biology Keystone this year. One way that she is preparing is by reviewing her old study guides. “It’s helped me a lot because we’ve gone over so much already. I’ve been able to memorize certain things that were difficult at first.” Another way she has been studying is by using Quizlets. Quizlet has been really helpful for Sheila. “It’s easy to study using them because I can access them from my computer and my phone.” With it being so easily accessible, she has been studying in the car and while in the lunch lines at school. 

Another freshman, Kailtyn Gallagher, will be taking the algebra 1 Keystone this year. Math has always been a difficult subject to study for, but she thinks she has it down. “The main thing that I’ve been doing is using a question generator.” The website she has been using lets a student choose the topic of four questions. It will also let a student choose the difficulty level of each question. It can help prepare a student because it randomizes the questions and what they are asking for.

For more information about all of the Keystone, go to the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.