HAHS students and teachers discuss favorite Christmas cookies

As the temperatures start to drop and the winter season is approaching, many people are getting ready for Christmas by decorating and making Christmas cookies.

Gingerbread cookies are extremely popular all over the world. Gingerbread cookies originate from the Crusades and were originally made with breadcrumbs, boiled honey, and seasoned with all kinds of spices. Only 2.4% of students like to make Gingerbread cookies for the holidays. Freshman Brielle Cox states, “I love the smell of Gingerbread cookies and it gets me very excited to bake and make Christmas cookies.”

Another commonly favorized cookie is snickerdoodles. Snickerdoodles have an unconfirmed history, many people say it originated from New England while others say it originated from Pennsylvania but derived from German and Dutch cookies. Overall, 7.3% of students like to make snickerdoodles for Christmas. As common as it is, it is shocking that this is not a student favorite. Freshman Chase Brodhead says, “My grandma always makes snickerdoodles and it is very nostalgic for me.” 

Many other favorites that students like are plain chocolate chips, peanut butter blossoms, cookies with Hershey Kisses and coconut macaroons. It was shocking to learn that many people bake chocolate chip cookies over other holiday cookies such as spritz cookies. Freshman Cali Tobias says, “Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite because they are chocolatey and creamy and I love the melting chocolate.” Mrs. Deitz’s favorite cookies are peanut butter cookies.

Students overall favorite cookie out of all was sugar cookies. Sugar cookies are very common to make and buy in stores during the holiday season. Many people love to enjoy their sugar cookies with coffee, colorful icing, and they can be rolled and cut into festive shapes for the holiday season. These cookies are loved by many due to their sweet, chewy flavor.

In conclusion, Christmas cookies are very versatile whether it is a sweet sugar cookie or a spiced gingerbread cookie. Christmas cookies give students holiday joy and is a cherished tradition known all over the world. 

For more information on Christmas cookies visit:

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/americas-most-popular-christmas-cookies-ranked/