Families celebrating Christmas too early

Amelia Gassert

Christmas is an exciting holiday season, where people decorate months ahead of time. Some people will start to decorate as early as November 1, the day after Halloween, to not even decorating at all except for a Christmas tree. In Hamburg Area High School, the most common time to start setting up is after Thanksgiving, where it was 53.8%. Decorating after Thanksgiving is most seen since most people do not want to skip over a holiday, where to some, it is one’s favorite holiday.

The next highest time people start to set up is in the middle of November. In HAHS 30.8% tend to start in the middle of November, which is still close to the Christmas season. Not very many students voted that right after Halloween is when the Christmas decorations come up. Some might view right after Halloween as way too early, since there is still a whole entire two months before Christmas is even close, to where Thanksgiving is not remotely near at all. 

Although the majority of students decorate for Christmas after Thanksgiving, Erica Gerner, HAHS sophomore, starts her decorations in the middle of November. Erica likes to put up her little Christmas tree in her room, as she states, “My favorite decoration would have to be our fake Christmas tree that goes in the living room,” proving her favorite part about Christmas is putting up the trees. Erica’s family all agrees that one should put up decorations in the middle of November, where she states, “It is the perfect time between Halloween and Thanksgiving, but we do not forget about Thanksgiving,” stating how even though the decorations are up before Thanksgiving, it is still one of her family’s favorite holidays. 

As Erica loves to decorate the rest of the house she says that, “My family and I tend to decorate after the Christmas tree is up.” illustrating that once the tree goes up in the house, that is when Erica and her family start to add additional decorations. 

Overall, people have many different opinions and ways one starts celebrating Christmas, to which neither one is wrong.