How girls at HAHS feel about the dress code

Sadie Haines

Everyone has different beliefs when it comes to what girls should wear.  For years girls have felt strongly about dress codes. Most think they are unfair and restrict them from expressing their creativity. On the other hand, it makes sense to have rules to some extent. There are certain times and places to wear things and the dress code is there to make people understand this.  The dress code for HAHS states that clothing should not be extreme to the extent that it focuses attention on the wearer and causes a distraction or disruption in the classroom, hall, or throughout the building. It is hard for girls to find fashionable outfits that follow the dress code. 

Schuylkill Valley High School’s dress code is very similar to ours. They say in their handbook, “If you are in doubt, don’t wear it to school. ”  

Three girls at Hamburg Area High School feel very strongly about the dress code. Freshman Morgan Lutz shared, “The dress code makes me feel as though I should be ashamed for things like my stomach because of issues my body could cause. The dress code is sexist and mainly made for the women in our schools. We are taught from a young age that our body controls the way that men feel and that is far from the truth. We should be allowed to show our shoulders and stomachs without being punished for the way our bodies look. Instead of putting severe limits on what women can and cannot wear, we should be teaching everyone in our society to respect each other instead of enforcing a dress code that teaches young girls to be ashamed and scared of their body in fear that they will be viewed as less than worthy and not respected.” 

Maddie Handwerk claims the act of being dress coded made her uncomfortable as a student. She says that we are in school to learn and should not have to worry about whether what we are wearing is a distraction to others. Maggie Stapinski also feels that the dress code is ridiculous and infringes on her learning. 

The dress code is something many girls struggle with and this year we are just getting stricter about it.

For more information on HAHS’s dress code, visit page 10 of the student agenda.