Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

Mrs. Dommel teaches art

Lifetouch National School Studios Inc.

Some of the many electives at HAHS are the art electives, all taught by the HS’s only art teacher, Mrs. Dommel. She teaches: Ceramics, Advanced Ceramics, 3-D Design, Advanced 3-D Design, Drawing, Advanced Drawing, Painting, Advanced Painting, and Studio Art. All advanced classes and Studio Art are for 10-12 grades while the other classes listed are for all grades to attend. The supplies that the students need for Drawing are erasers, pencils, and a kneadable eraser.

When Mrs. Dommel was growing up, her outlet was art and it was a part of her identity. As a child she would sit at the kitchen table and paint, and at the age of 3 she knew that she was destined to do a job that involved art. She had art lessons from 3rd grade and on, and she made it her main focus (along with her academics). Mrs. Dommel attended Moravian College and Kutztown University for her master’s degree, then other institutions that were above her master’s degree.

Mrs. Dommel started to teach at HAHS in August 2003. Before coming to HAHS she worked at a Crayola factory, Moravian University’s art department in the painting gallery, and taught at three catholic schools: two St. Michael Archangel Schools and St. Ann School. Mrs. Dommel wanted to teach art because art is her passion, she loves kids, the versatility of the subject, and the many different things she can do with the art program that HAHS provides.

One of Mrs. Dommel’s student’s, Michael Long who is a freshman, attends her class for drawing. Michael joined Drawing because he likes to draw, sculpt, paint, and showcase his creativity and skill. The characteristic that Michael enjoys about Mrs. Dommel’s class is that she lets her students show their creativity and does not restrict their freedom on how they choose to draw or what they draw. His most favorite art project this year was the self-directed sketch, and for this project he decided to sketch a realistic dragon. For next year, Michael is thinking about signing up for 3-D Design due to the fact that she lets her students do whatever they want as long as they get their work done, she is patient with them, and he likes to do art.

Another one of Mrs. Dommel’s students, Carice Hoppes who is a freshman, also attends her class for drawing. She picked this elective because she wanted to improve her drawing skills by practicing. The characteristic that Carice likes about Mrs. Dommel is how she lets her students relax and sketch instead of making them do straight-up work. Her favorite project so far this year was a close-up of something that related to nature, and for that project Carice chose to draw a jaguar. Next year, Carice will definitely be signing up for Mrs. Dommel’s class again due to the fact that it helps to calm down her anxiety, and she still wants to practice on improving her art.

Currently in Mrs. Dommel’s class, Michael, Carice, and the rest of the students are drawing realistic portraits of people.

A message that Mrs. Dommel would like to say to young aspiring artists: “Follow your heart.”