The Black Friday tradition continues in 2023

Sometime in November of 1951, was the first mention of “black friday.” However, it did not become a big thing until the 1980’s when everyone in the United States started participating in the annual sale. Essentially, Black Friday is a day in which many businesses in the United States, and now all over the world, lower their prices and offer great sales. This consumer holiday typically occurs on the Friday after Thanksgiving and it marks the start of the Christmas season. 

Sophomore Allie Houck, enjoys going Black Friday shopping every year. She usually wakes up at about 8 or 9 and shops till 5. On the other hand there are people like me, who wake up at 4 or 5 and shop till about 2. When going Black Friday shopping, I wake up, throw on some clothes that I lay out the night before and I get ready like normal but I skip breakfast. Then on the way to whichever outlet we decide to go to, we stop for some good old Dunkin. For the entire day, I run on excessive amounts of Mountain Dew and donuts. Then when we finish shopping we get some food and head home to relax.

For more information on the history of Black Friday visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#:~:text=The%20earliest%20known%20use%20of,four%2Dday%20week%2Dend.