What is your favorite holiday?

HAHS invites students to etiquette dinner

This year, Hamburg Area High School is hosting its first ever etiquette dinner. The event is a free dinner that gives students an opportunity to familiarize themselves with a setting they will most likely see in the future. 

Mrs. Del Conte is the career education specialist at Hamburg, so she is very involved with the event. She shared, “The etiquette dinner is meant to give students an opportunity to be in a more professional and formal dining setting, this will come in handy for job interviews since a lot are doing meal interviews.” To avoid being unaware of the proper manners expected at a professional dinner, students are given the opportunity to learn the do’s and don’ts.

These tips are not only useful at job interviews though. Mrs. Del Conte added, “It also comes in handy for dining with colleagues, a business dinner, meeting a future spouse or inlaws, all types of professional settings where you are asked to dine in a professional manner.” So, students who may not be faced with knowing these mannerisms for a job interview over dinner may need to know them for other events. She also stated, “Another scenario is scholarship dinners or meeting future coaches as an athlete, any situation where you are in a more formalized setting.” This dinner also benefits those wishing to continue their academic or athletic career.

Students may wonder how exactly they will be taught these manners and dinner courtesy. Mrs Del Conte replied, “We are bringing in an outside consultant that does this professionally. He has been working in the field for over 30 years, nationally and internationally known. He does this at colleges and universities, and creates a fun and interactive dinner.” An experienced instructor on the topic is sure to make students feel more confident in what they are learning. She added, “This dinner is meant to be funny, the presenter will point student’s mistakes in a funny way.” So, students do not have to stress about messing up, because the dinner is created to recognize mistakes and improve them.

Mrs. Del Conte herself is looking forward to the experience. She remarked, “I am most looking forward to giving students these unique experiences they have not had yet. It is something else they can add to their professional development, and give them a different experience.” The benefits and experience that comes from the event is not only anticipated by the students, but by those who planned it too.

Mrs. Del Conte concluded, “The goal is that they enjoy it and have a good time so the event can return for years to follow. Anytime you can make something hands-on or bring it to life for students in a fun way, it makes it memorable, unique, and a fun learning experience.” The event is a light-hearted, no-pressure dinner that allows students to get comfortable with their professionalism. Students can be excited to attend such a beneficial, yet entertaining event. 

While registration ended October 30, students who registered will be attending the event on November 8 from 5-7 pm at the Wherehouse of Hamburg.