What is your favorite holiday?

Chase survives the day

Brielle Cox – 9

HAHS freshman Chase Brodhead’s day starts by his mom waking him up and turning on his bedroom lights at 6 am. Chase then gets out of bed and changes into fresh clean clothes appropriate for school. He walks to the bathroom, hair a mess, and brushes his teeth while watching Trisha Paytas’ on YouTube. He cleans his Invisalign until they are practically sparkling so he can wear them with his freshly brushed teeth. He wets his hair with a spray bottle and combs it out. He sits on his phone letting his hair dry from being damp waiting for the bus to come. He grabs two water bottles from his fridge, one for him and one for his friend, and walks to his bus stop.

Chase sits with his friend Kaylea Detweiler and they enjoy a nice cold bottle of water in the morning. If Chase has any homework he needs to complete he will do it on the bus or in his homeroom. Chase’s homeroom teacher is Mrs. Trubilla in the English hallway. Chase sits patiently in his homeroom waiting for the first period bell to ring. 

Chase’s first period class is German with Frau Stevens. He has German with one of his best friends Alaena Cox. They normally help each other study for tests or worksheets that they are having trouble with. Chase says they normally watch a video in Frau Stevens class, but on Wednesdays they listen to music. Chase does his work until the second period bell rings.

Chase has algebra 1 for his second period class. Chase and Alaena get to leave Frau Stevens’ class and walk to algebra 1 together. They enter the classroom and walk to the phone pockets to place their devices in a designated pocket. Mrs. Herman and Mrs. Argot will happily teach Chase algebra as long as he pays attention and does not break school rules. Chase sits with Carlos Rodriguez, Allyson Justiniano, and Alaena Cox in the far right corner of the classroom. Chase says the work is not that hard but not that easy either. It is easier for him when his friends help him out. He enjoys the fun chairs because he can go up, down, and all around. Chase spins in his chair waiting for the third period bell to sound.

Chase walks to the library where he has video communications for 3rd period with Mrs. Eshbach. In video communications he records and edits the videos that he takes. Right now Chase says he is working on a nature project that he enjoys. His class takes short walks outside of school to record the scenery. Chase likes walks and the outdoors so he is enjoying the recording part of the project. Chase comes back from his walk and waits for the 4th period bell to go off.

Chase’s friends Dakota and Koa have publications in the library for their third period so they all get to walk to computer and career awareness together. Chase makes his way to Mr. Hetrich’s class where he sits next to Koa in the front of the class. He finds the class to be easy right now because he likes to type. He is learning how to type, write appropriate emails for teachers, and learn more about a career he would like to pursue. Chase has computer and career awareness every other day so on odd days Chase will be with Mr. Hetrich and on even days he will be in the gym with Mrs. Deitz. Koa and Dakota are also in Chase’s gym class so every 4th period they walk together. Chase likes gym class but only because he has friends in his class with him. He does the activities with the sole purpose to have fun not to win. Chase kicks soccer balls until the 5th period bell buzzes.

Chase’s 5th period is with Mr. Zimmerman where he learns about civics. Chase says he likes the class so far because the teacher gets into detail about the topics he is teaching. Chase says Mr. Zimmerman does really well at teaching him and likes to crack sarcastic jokes about the students. Chase giggles uncontrollably until the lunch bell chimes.

Chase loves to sit with his friends at lunch. He has such a great time talking and laughing with them. He sits with Dakota Schneider, Koa Binder, Ash Stump, Sasha Lopez, and Landon Poulios. They all take secret pictures of each other and create and reminisce their inside jokes. Chase normally gets water but does not finish it so he takes it to 6th period with him. Chase munches until the 6th period bell plays.

Chase walks to Mrs. Trubilla’s English classroom from lunch. Chase loves his 6th period because he likes English. He does not find the class easy but he likes the topics so it does not matter to him. Chase liked annotating the book A Separate Piece not because he got to read but because he got to add whatever comments he wanted on sticky notes. Chase quietly read his book until the 7th period bell began.

Chase’s last class of the day and one of his favorites is integrated science. He works with Marcianna Dellamonica and Sasha Lopez on all the assignments. Mr. Meyers is a new teacher this year and is already Chase’s favorite teacher. The class is so fun and silly but also not easy. Chase does not mind the challenge because he will still get his work done. Chase works until the flex bell is heard.

In flex Chase hangs out with Dakota Schneider and Alaena Cox in cafe 1. He normally listens to music, talks, or does his work. He asks questions about his assignments to his friends so they can help him. Chase builds stronger bonds with his friends at the table and laughs all through flex. It is never a dull moment when he hangs out with his friends because he picks good people to be around. His friends are helpful, funny, kind, and really nice people. Sadly they can not have fun forever because the busser bell is about to go off.

Chase walks to his bus leaving his friends behind. He climbs the stairs and finds his seat. He gets all relaxed as he is ready to take off and go home. But no peace can be found yet. Chase still has to deal with annoying kids on his bus. All through Hamburg and then Shoemakersville the kids will not stop making corny jokes. Chase drowns them out with music but sometimes it is not enough. Chase would like to warn teachers about the next generation. Chase’s bus makes a stop and he is free to get off the bus and relax for the rest of the day. Chase falls asleep just to do it all again in the morning.