What is your favorite holiday?

“GUTS” Album Review

Olivia Rodrigo has recently come out with a new album called GUTS. It is her second and many are saying she has broken the curse of sophomore slump, which is artists having trouble making new music for their second album. People seem to be enjoying the new album and are even saying it is better than her first. The album is targeted towards teenagers and young adults being mainly about her life in those years. She covers many topics from beauty standards to being jealous of her peers to wanting to get a guy back. The album cover is a dark purple, following her theme as her previous album, SOUR was a lighter purple. 

Currently, her lead single from the album, Vampire, is sitting at the #7 spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Previously it was at the #1 spot. Her other single, Bad Idea Right? is sitting at #13, previously at #7. 

Personally, I enjoy the album. I think it has some of her best songs on it, and I enjoy how it hits all of the aspects of being a teenage girl perfectly. Some of her songs have nice acoustics and focus on the technique and cleanliness, while others focus more on it being messy, in a good way, which I think relate very well to a teenager’s life.

Many students are enjoying the album too. Though, they do have varying opinions. Freshman Chase Brodhead said that his favorite song was Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl. “I really like the beat behind it and lyrically she did really well.” While senior, Aster Weeks rated the album a 9/10 because Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl was on it. Aster’s favorite song is Lacy. “I love the way she illustrates her feelings and I can relate to the song itself.” They both listen to it everyday with Chase saying, “It’s like my church.” 

GUTS is an all around great album and we can not wait to hear her new music.