Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

Stevens shares opinion on German

Mrs. Stevens has been a German teacher at Hamburg Area High School since January 1993. Mrs. Stevens then got a call from Frau Schenck that the school was in need of a German teacher. She became a German teacher because her Hamburg Area High School German teacher Mrs. Schenck persuaded Mrs. Stevens to go to college and become a teacher. Before becoming a teacher, Mrs. Stevens worked at Eve’s Sandwich Shop and babysat for others. In 1991, Mrs. Stevens taught at a pre-k level. One thing that Mrs. Stevens liked was when the children were proud of themselves and when they asked for help because they wanted to try new things and do their best. One thing that she disliked was the germs from the children. Mrs. Stevens often got colds, strep throat, pink eye, and the list goes on. In Mrs. Stevens’ opinion, the only thing that is different from pre-k and high school is making high schoolers enjoy themselves and make them experience new things.

Mrs. Stevens plans to travel to Germany with her junior and senior students during this summer. She is also a part of the German American Partnership Program (GAPP), which is a program where students from Germany come over to Pennsylvania to see what it is like and interact with the students at Hamburg and participate in the community. Mrs. Stevens would not be able to do these trips to Germany without the support of the GAPP program. The German exchange students are coming here during the middle or near the end of March.

One student, Jayden “Meadow” Henry, states, “I like Mrs. Stevens’ class. Her class makes me happy even when I’m having a rough morning.” Jayden started taking German class this school year, Jayden decided to take German class because he wanted to learn more about where his mother’s side of the family came from and about his culture. Jayden also wants to confuse his significant other when speaking German to him.

Students in the German course have a good time and can make friends in different parts of the world, which is why others should sign up. For more information on German, look at the Program of Studies on the high school website under the resources tab. Then in early spring when students choose courses for next school year, sign up for German.