What is your favorite holiday?

Miss Heckman invites students to view the solar eclipse

On April 8 2024 the United States experienced a solar eclipse. Not only did the eclipse pass over the United States in general, but it specifically passed over Pennsylvania. While the eclipse did pass over many other states and cities, the place Hamburg Area High School was interested about was their very own town of Hamburg. In honor of Hamburg being able to experience and see the solar eclipse Miss Heckman, from the math department, threw a solar eclipse viewing party for any students wanting to watch the great show in the sky. The viewing party took place in the library after school from 2:35 to 3:35 and the students had to pay $5 which covered the snacks and glasses. At the party, she then provided the snacks and the special glasses needed as well as some information about the solar eclipse. 

At around 3 everyone headed outside for the viewing. While it was much too cloudy to see the entire eclipse, some of it was still seen once the clouds broke. Students also began to notice that it got a little darker and a little colder mainly because of the eclipse. Overall the experience was very cool, however some students were a little disappointed that we could not see that much. Sophomore, Allie Houck thought that the eclipse was “a little boring and underwhelming” because it did not live up to the expectations that she thought it would.