Book Review: All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr was published on May 6, 2014, by Scribner. The novel is a historical fiction war story following World War II. The novel follows Marie-Laure, a blind French girl, and Werner, a German orphan boy. Their lives intersected during World War II. As the war continues, their paths intertwine in unexpected ways, showing the power of human resilience, the impact of war on individuals, and the possibility of finding light even in the darkest of times. 

Marie-Laure is one of the protagonists of the story and is sheltered from the outside world. Even with this, she is very attentive to details. Werner is the other protagonist of the story, and he is driven and curious. He is fascinated by radio frequencies and eventually specializes in them. Reinhold Von Rumpel is the determined antagonist of the story. He is a Nazi party official and a gemologist. Daniel LeBlanc is Marie-Laure’s father and is very loving towards her. He is creative and is an important locksmith for a museum. Etienne is Daniel’s uncle and is easily frightened because of his experience in World War I. He is a wounded veteran who is loyal and eccentric. Jutta is the younger sister of Werner, a wise and intelligent German girl. 

Doerr chooses to use many themes throughout the novel including choosing between good vs. evil and dealing with the past. He uses Schulpforta, Germany, Paris, and Saint-Marlo, France as his most important settings. The novel brings World War II into perspective for both the French and the German citizens.