What is your favorite holiday?

How dogs help our students

Dogs have long been considered man’s best friend for a reason, they not only provide companionship and unconditional love, but they can also have a positive impact on our mental health. Research has shown that owning a dog can improve overall well-being and even help symptoms of anxiety and depression. One study published in the journal BMC Psychiatry found that dog owners were less likely to experience symptoms of depression and anxiety compared to non-dog owners. 

Sophomore Kaylee Fornwalt states, “I love my dog. She makes me feel great whenever I am having a bad day. She cuddles me and lays on me, and I love to be cuddled so much.” 

Publications teacher, Mrs. McCarthy, states, “Their unconditional love, tail wagging, and emotional eyes are comforting.”

Another study published in the Journal of Clinical Nursing found that spending just 15 minutes with a dog can significantly reduce levels of stress and anxiety. Interacting with a dog can increase levels of the feel-good hormones, such as oxytocin and dopamine, which have been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of stress. In addition to the emotional benefits, owning a dog can also provide a sense of purpose and routine, which can be especially beneficial for those struggling with mental health issues. 

Dogs rely on their owners for food, exercise, and companionship, which can help individuals struggling with depression or anxiety to stay motivated and engaged. Overall, the bond between humans and dogs is a special one that can have a profound impact on our mental well-being. Whether it is going for a walk, cuddling on the couch, or simply having a listening ear, dogs have a unique way of brightening our days and improving our mental health. 

For more information visit, https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-016-1111-3

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25308197/