Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

LEO Club gets ready for Easter

Every year before spring begins, Hamburg Area High School’s LEO club, fills Easter eggs and counts them to send off to the elementary schools. Every year both of the elementary schools hold an Easter egg hunt for the kids. While I do not remember participating in these egg hunts when I was in kindergarten, I do have other memories of egg hunts. Members of LEO club fill the plastic eggs with items such as stickers, foam stickers, and temporary tattoos. Once all of the eggs are filled, they must be counted. 

Sophomores Tia Adam and I typically are the ones that count all of the eggs. It is better to have the same small group of people count the eggs rather than many people that count the eggs at different times to avoid inaccurate counting. Last year we also counted them, but we had a much easier time this year. The purpose of counting the eggs is to make sure that we have enough eggs per student for each school. The elementary schools tell us how many kindergarten and 1st grade kids they have and then we split the eggs up, some for Tilden and some for Perry. 

This year Perry split the numbers into kindergarten and first grade while Tilden just sent us the number of students in each homeroom so that we could separate them by teacher. Counting the eggs last year, 2023, was much more difficult than this year, it took a lot longer too. This is because we are more familiar with counting the eggs now and we came up with a system to make it easier. Overall filling and counting the eggs can be a hassle, but then we get reminded of why we are doing it. We are doing it for the younger kids.