Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

HAHS STUCO holds a charity basketball game

Hamburg Area High School and Hamburg Area Middle School’s student councils coordinated to hold a charity basketball game on February 23 from six to eight in the evening. The basketball game was between middle school versus high school teachers. To gain entry, students had to pay $5 or they could get in for free if they brought a canned good. Adults and other spectators could get in for a discounted price of $4 if they brought a canned good. Student council was raising money for the Ronald McDonald House which uses donations to house families with hospitalized children. Half of the proceeds went to support this charity and the other half went towards the middle and high school student councils. There were also many clubs and organizations set up to raise money as well, including the jewelry club, gay straight alliance club, National Honor Society, and Leo club. The canned goods that were collected also went towards a good cause and were donated to the Northern Berks Food Pantry. At the end of the game, the high school teachers won with a score of 58 to 49

Rowan Epting, a junior and a member of the student council, helped organize this event. She specifically helped come up with halftime games and raffle ideas, as well as facilitating the game. The student council at the high school has been planning this new event for about four months. During half-time, there were a lot of opportunities for people to get involved as there were a lot of raffle prizes and opportunities to play games. Rowan says overall the game went really well since a lot of people showed up and the outcome was great. She was happy to see that a lot of people donated and participated in the event. Her favorite parts were watching the halftime games, watching the teachers play,  and helping run the popcorn stand. Rowan explained that some of the stands sold out of what they were selling because so many people came out and bought things at the event. Student council may turn this into an annual event since everyone seemed to really enjoy all the parts of the event.

The student council did a nice job of advertising for this event to get a good turnout. This advertising influenced me to attend as I was interested in all the things they had planned. Not only was the game entertaining to watch, there were so many activities planned out and so much went into planning this. I think that this event was definitely a success and it makes me happy that the student council planned something like this. I enjoyed watching the game and seeing all of the student council’s hard work be a success.