What is your favorite holiday?

HAHS students discuss clubs

Hamburg Area High School offers a variety of clubs for students to join and get involved in. There are two different club days when these clubs are held, club day A and club day B. Each club is held once a month and HAHS follows the specific club schedule that is in place every Thursday. Clubs are held right in the morning from 7:41 until 8:17. In order for this to happen, the normal daily schedule had to shift and classes periods one through five are 36 minutes long when typically they are 44 minutes long. After fifth period, the normal schedule returns. Each club has an adviser and each club varies, but typically there are fun activities in place or clubs will set up fundraisers to help fund their activities.

Landon Poulios, a freshman at HAHS, was eager to see the clubs offered at the high school. Landon signed up for Drama club because he thinks drama is a perfect place for people that are considered extra and he considers himself an extra or over the top person. Landon is also involved in the musical, which is directly involved with the Drama club. The Drama club holds fundraisers to help support the music programs at HAHS and the students in this club get to do fun acting activities and practices. Landon has enjoyed the club this far and is excited to continue participating in it throughout the school year. Landon says the only club he wishes HAHS offered was a debate club because he would definitely join that. Other than that, he feels the high school does a good job at offering a good variety of clubs. He is very appreciative of the time allotted for students to have clubs, but he still wishes there was more time or clubs could meet more frequently.

Kirra Goetz, a junior at HAHS, is a member of the Drama club as well and the Tri-M club. Tri-M stands for Modern Music Masters and is an honors music society. The Tri-M  club does volunteer work, music service projects, fundraises money for musicals and choir, and has a stand at May Day to fundraise money. Students in this club also get to sing and do other fun activities. This club is unique in that students have to be recommended and meet certain criteria to be a member. A student must have two teacher recommendations, three volunteer hours, and maintain a C grade or higher in every class. Kirra is new to both of these clubs this year, however she has knowledge on these clubs from friends and her existing involvement in choir and the musical. Kirra adds that the Drama club sometimes gets to go to other schools and see their drama showcases. She also says every year the Drama club holds a Drama club showcase at the Strand Theatre for students to watch. Kirra was influenced to join Tri-M because of being involved in the choir, and she wanted to join Drama because she has been in the musical. She feels that HAHS has a nice variety of clubs that are offered and she cannot wait to see each club get better and better as time goes on. She is very grateful that there are so many clubs and that students get the opportunity to participate in clubs, but it would be helpful to have more time or to meet more often because it can be challenging to plan fundraisers.

If a student has a club that they want to start and can come up with a teacher to advise it as well some other students who are interested, clubs can always be added.