What is your favorite holiday?

Sophomores take on the Haunted Hollow at Jim Dietrich’s Park

Every year, in the town of Muhlenberg, Jim Dietrich’s Park hosts an event called the Haunted Hollow. With two spooky events: a haunted hayride and a haunted barn experience. On October 13, three sophomores attended the event; Allie Houck, Tia Adam, and myself. Out of the three of them, the only one that had gone to this event before was me, Bethany Stufflet. Although we did not go into the haunted barn, we did have fun. However, in Allie and Tia’s opinions, “It wasn’t that scary.” 

As soon as we arrived at the park, the festivities began. Once we got in line for tickets, which were only $12 dollars per event and $30 for both, I noticed that there was the infamous clown that I saw last year when I attended. It carried a chainsaw, with no blade of course, and wore a creepy mask with colorful hair. My mother then pointed out the photo op area where we got a picture of us and the clown. We then got our tickets for the hayride and hopped in line for that. By the time we got on the ride, it was pitch black. We listened to the rules then the ride began. I noticed that most of the hayride was different from previous years. For example last year there was a butcher area that the ride went through and a butcher running around. They also had it this year. Some new things were a clown area where two clowns came onto the hayride and the one clown bopped us on the head with a balloon. The other clown was crying. Therefore, there were only a couple things that were the same. 

Other than the clown with a chainsaw, there was one other guy that I recognized from the previous years. This guy had a big belly and a butcher mask on, and he was pulling something out of that belly. He explained to everyone on the hayride that they were his guts and intestines, then he offered some to Allie’s mom and she replied with, ”No thank you; I already had dinner.” This then got most of the people on the ride to laugh. When the hayride concluded, Tia and Allie were both relieved but also sad. We all agreed that next year, we will go on the hayride and in the barn. After the ride, we then got some food from the food truck and ended our night with a fun Target run.