What is your favorite holiday?

German exchange with Kaylum Riegel

There are two language classes in HAHS and one of those is German. If a student takes German, they may be lucky enough to participate in the German exchange program, GAPP, their senior year.  Kaylum, a freshman in the German Club, plans on housing one of the exchange students this year, “We play German Games and do different things, we brought Alex Meixner here. The club directors said that when they do not do that, they do Oktoberfest in Reading but we didn’t do that this year.” He wanted to participate in the exchange program but unfortunately does not think he will be able to do that since he plans on going to BCTC. Still, he encourages those who can to try and do the program. 

In class one day, they were shown introduction videos of the different students coming to PA from Germany. “I emailed a few of them constantly, and I really connected with one of them. So I told my parents we were going to; like I asked and told them at the same time.” 

Kaylum says, “Basically we are partnered with a school in Germany and basically they send a few students over in March, and we send students over around summer.” There are many students from Germany arriving, though we are still looking for two more hosts for two girls we have coming over. “It’s about two weeks, two days travel time. We basically show them the states, treat them like family. We could have game nights and dinner, one day we plan on going bowling, and we’re taking a bus ride to New York.”Kaylum is really eager to have someone new in the house. “I am very excited. I am really looking forward to the experience of having someone from a different culture in the house and getting to show them Pennsylvania and New York,” he states.  

HAHS is excited and ready to host the exchange students. If you have the ability to, it is strongly encouraged that you do the program. It is an amazing opportunity and a great way to see other cultures and lifestyles.