What is your favorite holiday?

Mrs. Trubilla teaches at HAHS

Teresa McCarthy-Wright

Mrs. Trubilla, a grade 9 English teacher, is in her 19th year of teaching. She always liked kids and reading but did not think about teaching until she had a teacher in high school that inspired her. The teacher that inspired her, Mrs. Day, was her grade 10 English teacher who Mrs. Trubilla describes as phenomenal. This teacher did such a great job at leading, teaching, and explaining which helped Mrs. Trubilla realize she could be a teacher since she enjoyed kids and the subject.

To get her bachelor’s degree, Mrs. Trubilla attended Shippensburg University. Mrs. Trubilla also earned two master’s degrees through Ashford and Southern New Hampshire Universities.

Mrs. Trubilla is a very adventurous person outside of the classroom, and she loves to explore and find new places to walk around. Some of her other hobbies include reading, scrapbooking, geocaching, and before having her daughter, puzzles. Geocaching is a global treasure hunt where people will receive a location for hidden stashes of objects and go look for them. Mrs. Trubilla says it is super fun and one of her favorite things to do.

If someone is interested in being a teacher, Mrs. Trubilla recommends that they figure out the reason why. Some people want to be a teacher because it is one of the very few careers that they have been exposed to, but Mrs. Trubilla advises that it is super important to explore many different career options to figure out what someone likes. Mrs. Trubilla also says it is important for someone to observe a classroom to make sure it is something they like before committing to teaching and four years of college. This is possible at HAHS through Professional Field Experience or PFE senior year of high school!

Teaching is not an easy job which may be a misconception. It is a selfless, thankless, and time-consuming job. That is why it is important for someone considering this profession to understand why they are interested in it. With every job there are good and bad things. Overall teaching can be very rewarding. Mrs. Trubilla says the most fulfilling part about teaching is knowing that she makes a difference in some student’s lives. There may be things that a teacher says to a student that will stick with them and help them through tough times. Students need to know some people support them and for teachers that is very fulfilling. Some of Mrs. Trubilla’s favorite parts about teaching are lesson planning, finding activities, and researching ideas for her classroom.

Landon Poulios, a freshman who has Mrs. Trubilla for English, says he loves her and especially likes her teaching style, classroom, and voice. He also likes that she has a quote of the week in her room and he always reads them.

One of his favorite things about her class is station Fridays. On station Fridays, Mrs. Trubilla gives six activities and students have two mandatory and three activities by choice to complete. Landon also likes going to her classroom during flex, and he appreciates that she gives good advice and supports her students. Landon has fun completing group projects in Mrs. Trubilla’s class as well, and he says he has become better friends with people because of her class.