Do you prefer cold or warm weather?

It’s My Life inspires young girls to never give up on themselves

Hailey Quinn – 11

It’s My Life by Stacie Ramey is a young adult novel that was first published in 2020. The story focuses around the life of Jenna, a girl in high school who has cerebral palsy. Her condition had never bothered her in the past, but when she finds out that it was caused by an injury at birth, she becomes angered at her parents who failed to tell her the truth of her birth. This anger sparks a desire in Jenna to take control of her life, including school and medical decisions, which she feels her parents were monopolizing. 

In an effort to assert control over her school decisions, Jenna drops all of her AP classes. When her childhood best friend and crush, Julian moves back to town, he ends up in Jenna’s English class. Noticing that he was struggling with school, Jenna reaches out to him anonymously to help. Their relationship soon develops into something more than friendship, however, Jenna is plagued by doubt. She believes that her condition will change the way Julian sees her. Her self-pity and self-doubt create a large challenge for her and cause her to push people away.

It’s Her Life is an exploration of self-discovery and the complexities of living with cerebral palsy. The story dives into the universality of making life choices and the struggle to balance one’s desires with what’s truly best. Jenna’s journey to assert her independence showcases her determination to make her own decisions, even if they are not always in her best interests.

The novel effectively illustrates the power of self-worth and the impact of relationships on personal development. Jenna’s realization that helping others can be a means of helping oneself is a valuable lesson, and her evolving connections with her family and Julian serve to spark her personal transformation.

It’s My Life is a heartwarming and thought-provoking novel that emphasizes the importance of self-acceptance, the strength of relationships, and the significance of embracing one’s true self, even in the face of challenges.