What is your favorite holiday?

Students read to elementary kids

Mrs. Eshbach’s English classes and homeroom students took a field trip to Tilden and Perry Elementary schools on February 18, and read to various classes. The students had to choose a book and connect the story to kindness as a lesson to the grades. Some students even had preschoolers and kindergarteners while others had fifth graders. 

Sid Bonning, a freshman in Hamburg, and a student in Mrs. Eshbach’s homeroom, read the book A Big Guy Took My Ball by Mo Williams to Mrs. Noecker’s kindergarten class. Some kindergarteners enjoyed how Sid wore all black clothing and had such a bubbly personality when reading the story. After Sid read to the kids, they wrote what the kindergarteners connected the kindness to, such as their family life or how they showed kindess to their classmates. When everything was written, the papers connected into a colorful chain that shows how kindness can be neverending. 

LeeAnn Mills, a senior in one of Mrs. Eshbach’s English classes, read A Wolf’s Tale by Eva Montanari to Mrs. Wrona’s third grade class in Tilden elementary. The book connected to kindness through judging others, whether it be through their looks or personality. Instead of making the chains, LeeAnn had them pass around the ball and had the kids give a compliment when the ball got to them. Most of the kids complimented LeeAnn and said, “You are the best reader and teacher!” or “I love when you come to read to us!” The third graders learned that it is easier to compliment others than to compliment themselves. Mrs. Wrona enjoyed the message LeeAnn gave to the children and even became pen pals with LeeAnn.