Morgan Riegel hosts a German exchange student

This year, from March 17 – March 28, Hamburg Area High School is hosting 12 students and 2 teachers from Germany. Students were offered the opportunity to house and guide a student for themselves. Morgan Riegel is a sophomore who took on the shared responsibility with Allie Houck to host a student.

Morgan and Allie are housing Viktora Tenert. Morgan shared, “I decided to participate in the German exchange because I think it would be interesting to get to know another individual and their culture. Furthermore I believe participating in the exchange would enhance my skills in the language as I would be able to hear how native speakers talk.” This experience allows students to further develop knowledge on other cultures, countries, and languages. It is beneficial for students to have awareness of the customs and traditions foreigners engage in. 

Morgan also shared, “I plan to introduce my student to many typical American cultural aspects. Such as typical American style food with the PA Dutch Potluck and typical American clothing styles.” It is important to remember this experience is also introducing the Germans to a new lifestyle. The Germans will be introduced to new foods, culture, fashion, language, and more. Morgan said, “I am most excited about taking Viki to classes with me and seeing her reaction to the reality of an American High school rather than the stereotypes she sees on the media.” Morgan will also be able to recognize the differences between how Germans actually act and how stereotypes picture them.

Morgan ended, “Other students should consider the exchange because it has many beneficial consequences that go with it. Some are expanding one’s knowledge on different cultures, and showing an individual that there is much more to the world than the small town of Hamburg, PA.” This experience is very beneficial and recommended by teachers. It allows students, both American and German, to expand their knowledge and make new connections with customs and people they were ignorant to.