What is your favorite holiday?

Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

Juniors earn early leave

It was recently the end of the first semester, officially marking the halfway point of the school year. This indicator reminds some that the year is almost over, others are becoming eager for the warm weather of summer, but for juniors, it marks the beginning of early leave. Early leave is something juniors with the required grades are granted at the beginning of their junior year second semester. For seniors this privilege was long awarded, but for the juniors this introduction brings excitement. 

There are many benefits to early leave: going home early, beating the buses, and getting to skip flex. There is also a sense of responsibility that comes with this privilege, maintaining good grades. Students with a 70% or lower in any class have their early leave revoked. This can motivate students to put more effort into their academics.

Summer Bonser, junior, shared, “I don’t have to be bored sitting in flex.” For students who may not have any homework or due assignments, flex is a wasted period and serves no purpose. Summer also shared, “The only negative is if I needed help on homework there are no teachers to assist me at home.” This is an issue students can face commonly, but the introduction of early leave can make it more difficult for students to receive the help needed. Finally, she said, “Early leave doesn’t necessarily motivate me to maintain good grades, I’ve always been self-motivated.”

Camden Folk, junior, said, “I like early leave because I can go home and get started on my school work earlier.” Without the distractions of friends or noise at school, students can work on their work in an environment they may be more comfortable and focused in. Camden also shared, “Early leave motivates me to keep good grades.” Proving once again that the grade requirement can lift students’ motivation to maintain an acceptable grade.

Early leave seems to have more positives than negatives, and students enjoy the freedom of leaving early. Underclassmen can be encouraged to stay within the requirements and earn early leave for themselves.