Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

Elective Spotlight: Spanish

There are many electives offered at the Hamburg Area High School, one that is offered is Spanish. There are four levels of Spanish offered at HAHS. The first level is Spanish 1, a class that focuses on learning the origin of the language, as well as the basic construction of sentences. In Spanish 1, a student will learn the pronunciation of the tildes and accents, as well as what each letter will sound like. They will also learn describing words like pretty and quiet. They will also learn some places and materials, most surrounding a school setting. An example of one of these words is carpetas, which means folders in Spanish. These basic words will get used more and more as the year progresses. 

One of the Spanish teachers, Mrs. King, loves teaching Spanish. Her favorite part of teaching Spanish is getting to know the students and their personalities. Each student has their own, making teaching them an experience. Another part of teaching that she likes is watching them accomplish something as amazing as learning a new language. 

Learning a new language can open many new gateways for students. Many students take vacation during the summer, some to foreign countries. If they go to a Spanish speaking country, they get to use their knowledge of the language. It is also a good way for students to show off what they have learned in class. 

Whether a student is going to a foreign country or just wants to learn something new, Spanish might be for that student. “The Spanish language is fun to learn,” said Sheila Kern, a freshman taking Spanish 1. From the wide diversity of words to the grammar, Spanish is anything but a boring language.