What is your favorite holiday?

Music Helps People
Music Helps People
April 25, 2024

Alaena takes on basketball

Alaena Cox is a freshman playing her first year of high school basketball. She has played it since third grade when she was eight years old. Over the summer she attended open gyms held by coach McBreen, played in scrimmages, and even joined a Kutztown high school basketball camp. Alaena said, “The Kutztown camp was fun and beneficial.” 

Alaena wanted to come into the season strong, so she attended all the open gyms she could until official practice started on November 17. She originally thought that the practices were going to be a lot more running than they actually are. She is enjoying the practices, says they are a lot of fun, and she learns a lot in just one practice.

From the start Alaena got familiar with senior Alexia Ewing and sophomores Kyla Rogers and Kayla Hix. Alaena has some trouble asking the coach for help, so she looks to Kyla and Alexia for help when she can not understand a post drill. Alaena likes how practices are right after school so she does not have to go home then come back. This was a change since field hockey. Because there is a lot of time after practice, Alaena does not have to worry about not getting homework done.

Alaena likes the drill Get Tough because it involves a lot of aggression, and she wants to improve on being more aggressive when going up to the basket. However she does not like the Tennessee drill, because it involves a lot of back and forth running.

On November 28, only 11 days into the season, the Lady Hawks had a scrimmage against Saucon Valley and Nativity. It was the first intense game in a while for Alaena. She said it was definitely different from middle school. Alaena puts a lot of pressure on herself in games, but she feels like since she is considered on the varsity team it is just natural. December 1 and 2 there was a tip-off tournament that would kick the team into the actual season. The Hawks played Tri Valley first and won 50 to 36 putting them into the championship. Elco won their game against Annville-Cleona making them the Hawks competition for the win. The Hawks played a great game but could not come out with the win. Alaena thought it was fun but she felt unprepared to play in the games.