What is your favorite holiday?

Students share first quarter reflections

On October 27, the first quarter of the 2023 to 2024 school year came to an end. With every ending quarter, students are eager to see how they did and what they can improve. Many students took honors classes which would test their abilities and skills. A couple students were excited to share their opinions on their first quarter.

There are the usual four core classes: math, science, English, and social studies. These classes have many levels to them. There are standard based, post secondary, and honors classes. Each student is placed into the class that would benefit them the most. When asked which class was easiest, each student had a different answer. One student chose a world cultures class as the easiest while another chose algebra one as their easiest class. The hardest classes for some were algebra one, english, and biology. 

Almost all students were happy with their final grade. They said it was because they all felt like they put in the work and achieved their goal. Freshman especially are happy with their grade. When coming into the high school, they were told it would be difficult to maintain an A in their classes. This is a big step for most as it proved to themselves that they are capable of many great things, even if small. 

Many students are excited for quarter two. 75% of the students are while 25% are not. The students that chose yes say that it is because if they can get through the first quarter, they can get through the next three with no issues. The students that chose no because they felt like it was exhausting to keep up with the work. It is an adjustment from doing light work into more difficult work.

The next quarter has started and many students are looking forward to it, others not so much. Many hope for good grades and luck in their next quarter at the Hamburg Area High School.